Tuesday 16 December 2014

Long may your big jib draw

I'm sat in Bitters, the place that has become my second home over the last few years. I've just cleaned out my office. I've handed my keys back at reception. I've said goodbye to the Alexander Murray Building. And now I have a lump in my throat. One that only a pint of my beloved British IPA can attempt to shift.

Tomorrow I will board a plane (well two, but that's less poetic) with my one way ticket back to England. My time in Newfoundland is up. I have almost completed my Master's thesis, just some tinkering over the next couple weeks and it'll be done and dusted. Submit it for review. Bish bash bosh, I'll graduate in May (hopefully!).

I still don't feel like I'm leaving. Yes, I've said goodbye to a number of friends who have already left for the Xmas holidays, but I still don't feel it. Probably something to do with the fact I haven't quite finished packing yet.

In the next hour or so I'm hopefully going to be joined by some of my nearest and dearest friends. Just some of the amazing people I've met in the last 16 months. I'm so sad to be leaving them. I love you all so much. I would have it no other way than to say goodbye over drinks at the pub. (My first tear just fell).

Newfoundland is an amazing place. I grow very attached to places, but I think that's because I've had the opportunity to live and visit some pretty special places. And Newfoundland is definitely one of them. Yes it's grey and rainy and snowy. But every time I see the view over the harbour, my worries and reservations melt away. Every time I step onto the East Coast Trail, I'm going on a wild adventure. The rocks, the trees, even the damn bogs. This is a fabulous little island.

Words can't really explain how much I'm going to miss this place and the people here (despite all the words I'm currently spending trying to explain it.) The sights I've seen. The people I've met. The memories I've made. All things that I'll treasure, forever more.

Newfoundland. It's been a time. Long may your big jib draw.

The first photo I took when I landed on this island.

The last photo I've taken before I leave this island.

No comments:

Post a Comment