Wednesday 6 March 2013

The 6 month review

I'm currently writing this blog from the pub. Unorthodox and risky, yes. But it demonstrates nicely how comfortable I am here. I swanned into the pub this evening on my own, calmly took my usual seat and switched on the TV to watch the Champions League football, before going to the bar, ordering a drink, with the barmaid already knowing my name for this evening's tab. That's how you know that you're welcome. Or that you go to the pub too often.

I am now ~6 months into my stay across the pond. 192 days ago I embarked on the most exciting thing I have done in my life. Last week this milestone was brought to my attention at our regular Thursday night Pub Quiz fixture. As my friends sat on the opposite side of a long table facing me, I questioned if this was an interview. "Yes Stacy, this is your 6 month friend review" they replied. Cue massive sentimentality and deep reflective thinking, and hence the reason for this blog edition.

When I asked my friends for their evaluation of me, I was very happy to hear positive responses. "Excellent drinking buddy" and "Good person to bake bad cookies with" were some of the comments. This raises some important points. Firstly I have been fortunate enough to make some fabulous friends over here. Way back in September I ended up being brave enough to join the other Geologists for lunch, and then brave enough to turn up for the Pub Quiz at the Grad Student pub. Two excellent leaps of faith. For some reason I made a good enough impression that they kept me around. Or maybe they couldn't really get rid of me. Either way, I'd like to think people round here quite like the loud English lass.

Now I have mentioned the pub a few times already, and as with any good geologist, it is an integral part of my life. Not necessarily important for getting hammered as was the case back in 1st year of undergrad, but more as a vehicle for hanging out with great people. On Trivia Thursdays or football Saturdays /Sunday /(Tuesdays /Wednesdays /Thursdays when European footy is on) I will likely at Bitters or the Duke of Duckworth. Defining quotes from my time in the pub that come to mind are: 
1) my friend saying "She's not shouting, that's just how she is" when I was asking the Trivia hosts a question, and 
2) myself saying very loudly in a very English accent "Don't be silly!" when Wayne Rooney attempted to gain a penalty in and undifferentiated United game.

One of my favourite events of my time here though has to be last week, when I officially became a Newfoundlander. I was "Screeched In", an age old tradition and ceremony to welcome honorary Newfoundlanders. I had somewhat bided my time doing this; everyone else who turned up in September had already done it. But that just meant that all attention was on me this time! A geology night out turned into an impromptu Screech In. And boy am I glad that's what happened. As the photos demonstrate...


I had to eat some form of reconstituted meat...

I had to kiss a frozen cod...

I had to do a shot of Screech (Newfoundland Rum)...

I had to recite the phrase "Deed I is me old cock, and long may your big jib draw!" 
and then I was officially called a Newfoundlander!

Just some of the fabulous people that have helped me along the way.


Away from the drink related things, I want to say that I am very happy that all this is happening in Newfoundland. Culturally its so similar to the UK thanks to its Irish connection, so not much of an adjustment has had to be made. There are things I miss about home indeed (other than the family and friends of course). The way they pronounce the word aluminium. The fact that tomato paste comes in a tube. The rugby being shown on TV. But I have enjoyed adjusting to my new life. St John's is a great place to do it. Downtown is colourful and awesome even in the miserable fog and rain. The snow has overgrown its novelty factor by the slushiness it leaves behind, but it still makes me excited when there's been a fresh fall overnight. The sight of Signal Hill across the harbour will never fail to make me smile. The rocky landscape reminds me very much of the Scottish Highlands. When the weather gets nicer I will get out and explore this wonderful island some more.


One of my favourite spots Downtown; The War Memorial, Jelly-bean coloured houses behind, opposite the Harbourside Park.

 Very much like East Sands in St Andrews, I will never tire of this view.

On top of that my Master's work is pretty awesome too. I'm going to be using a new cool analytical technique to look at rocks that no one has looked at for years, trying to solve some very important questions. I have a world leader as my supervisor. The guy who invented the LA-ICP-MS is two offices down from me. I've had the chance to travel to California. Twice. All for the sake of Geology.

All in all, as cheesy as it sounds, my life is pretty awesome right now. I've had my share of setbacks in the past so its about time something went right. I find myself truly lucky for everything I have experienced in the last 6 months, and long may it continue. Apologies for this being a somewhat self-appraising post, but I should be happy about what I have. Believe me I don't take it for granted. I hope you'll forgive this long, reflective and slushy post. The next time something really cool happens, I will do an awesome write up I promise!

1 comment: